Wattie Ink Elite Team

Wattie Ink Elite Team
Rocking The W again in 2014

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ironman Texas 2012


Sit back, Relax, and enjoy the ramblings of my race at Ironman Texas.

Swim:
Many lessons were learned in my 2011 race here in Texas so I had a new strategy to approaching the mass start. I got caught in the insanity that was the buoy line last year and had no interest in that fight. Instead I lined up to the far right as we worked our way into the water. The temperature of the water was 80.4 degrees so wetsuits were out of the question. I did get to race in my new Blue Seventy PTX3 Skinsuit which was amazing. No comparison to the XTERRA Skinsuit I used in the past few years. The Blue Seventy suit was so much more comfortable and well built. The race was to start at 7 am and to get a decent position on the start line you needed to get in at about 6:45 which meant 15 minutes of close contact treading. Kick, punch, heal, thigh, calf, ouch, ouch, ugh....let's go please. 

The clock approached 7 and it was go time. The cannon fired and it was time to go to work. Head down and I immediately found clean water. I remember thinking to myself "this will not last long" since at this point last year I was already pummeled. I got into a nice groove, focused on my timing, and went. Had a few run ins on the way out to the first turn but nothing like last year. The first turn buoy seemed to never come. It was one yellow buoy after the next....after the next....after the next.....where the fuck is the red turn buoy? Finally it came and I was around it with no contact....what's going on I though....am I way far back? Am I way far up? Did everyone drown? Whatever it was I was ok with it. Next turn was the same and I was having fun in the water for the first time ever. That lasted for about 20 minutes until the right hand turn down the canal of misery. This canal is no more than 75 feet wide and it's shallow. One would think that hundreds of athletes swimming in the same direction down a canal would create a current of some sorts...but not in the canal of misery....that would make too much sense...it chooses to defy logic and physics and make life even harder for the athletes. The canal is also where everyone who just swam beyond their ability for 40 minutes come to a complete halt and create a ton of traffic. All the clean water I had enjoyed earlier was now gone. Few punches, kicks, and even what looked like a panicked hug from one athlete was delivered during the canal of misery.

 I remember the sheer joy of seeing the swim exit and reaching the stairs out of the water. Looked at the clock expecting the worse and was surprised by the best swim performance I ever turned in during Ironman. Long day ahead but a great start.

T1:
Transition is normally uneventful and I like it that way. Got my bag, in the tent, shoes on, helmet on, race belt on, sunglasses on, nutrition check, BOOM....sprint to the bike. And I did.....I hauled ass through and was out beginning to end in well under 3 minutes. Let's Ride.

Ride:
Ahhhhhhhh...my favorite part of Ironman and the part I believe makes me good at it. Part power, part discipline, part nutrition, all speed. I quickly got into my groove, locked into my targeted wattages, and got my nutrition rolling. I quickly realized that this was not going to be like last year. We were gifted some cloud cover last year and Mother Nature waited for the marathon to open the sky's and pound us with sun. This year there were no clouds, no where to hide, and it was hot already...at 8 in the morning. I was in a good place and quickly passing droves of athletes. It was a comedy show as I knew by watching which athletes passing me were going to explode in an amazing display of undisciplined riding and it was a show. Texas is not the corse where 20 miles into the bike you should see people hammering past you out of the saddle, pushing 350 watts or more on a 3% incline that lasts 100 meters....that's asking for trouble....but I was thankful for their entertainment. I stayed disciplined and kept rolling and getting in my nutrition. At about 60 miles into the bike I had something happen that never happened before. I was cooking!!! Physically I could feel the heat and I felt like a egg frying. I actually thought "I want to get off this bike....I'm miserable....and I have 52 miles left....oh shit". This was not good..my head was not going to a good place. It was time to regroup. I spent the next miles trying to break the race into manageable chunks but I noticed that my thinking was getting foggy....what mile am I on...didn't I just pass that....when's the next aid station...damn it's hot. Here is where last year was kinder also...the returning head wind was brutal and relentless. For the rest of the ride we would have the hot wind in our face. It was at this point I started to think maybe I behind on my nutrition and needed to make an adjustment. One of my bottles of Ironman Cocktail we figured out last year was empty and I was struggling to reach the replacement behind my seat. Time for some stretching and to get this damn bottle. So I get up out of my aero bars, one bottle hanging from my teeth, turned almost completely around to my right and I finally get my hand on the bottle. Pull it out and put it in my cage and with the other bottle still dangling from my teeth I see someone on my right...I glance over to see an official giving me a red card. WTF???? What the hell did I do? "Drafting".... I asked where and when.....he responded "just now"....you mean while I was fumbling with my bottles? "Yes" he responded. So your telling me I accidentally drifted into the 3 bike length buffer while getting my bottles straight and that's drafting? He responded that I had been there longer than 15 seconds and it didn't matter if I gained no advantage....I broke a rule. Where was he for the blatant drafters? So I got to spend 4 damn minutes at the mile 90 penalty tent watching people zoom on by and all because I lost my focus. Lesson learned. The cooking continued. I remained focused on the task at hand. I fought, regained a handle on my nutrition, stayed hydrated (peed 4 times on the bike), and tried to get in a good place mentally to go to war on the run.
Bike split was solid (actually faster than last year without the penalty and it was a harder day).

T2:
Calm, collected, and fast is how I wanted to approach this transition. Mission accomplished on all fronts. Time to sunscreen up and run.

Run:
This section should be titled "A tale of two Bob's". As I got out on the run course I was happy to see my body responding very well. I felt amazing! All the negative thoughts that had rolled through my head had been clensed and I was back to my old self. It was time to go to war. I had never been able (mentally) to race the marathon during an Ironman and that was what I trained myself to do this year.simplerace the marathon. If I was going to pop I was going to discover where my limit was that day and have no regrets (easier said than done with the no regrets part). As I hit my stride it I felt great and the miles were clicking off quickly. I was on target with my nutrition taking in the calories I needed at each aid station and trying to manage my core body temperature as best I could……but fuck it was hot. Each aid station was a hit of my flask full of 2nd Surge Gel chased with Coke, Water, Perform, more Water, and packing in the ice. Strangely the aid stations seem to have run out of ice (or didnt have any in the first place) come the second lap. My pace was slowing on the second lap but not to a degree where I was concerned. I wanted to get through it as cleanly as possible and then leave it all on the course the 3rd lap..little did I know how much I would leave out there. The story changed at mile 18 as I grabbed a cup of water, tossed it back, and started to vomit. No warning signs, no bloating, no stomach discomfort, nothing would have prepared me for my guts coming up in an instant. I let it all loose for about 90 seconds and was able to regroup.lets get moving I thought. About 6 steps later it happened again..and then for the next 8 miles anything I did above a trot resulted in vomiting (or dry heaving at that point). I was reduced to a 15 minute mile walking pace as I stumbled my way towards the days end. My heart hurt with sadness and disappoint as I plugged along watching my race slip away. Mile 25 added another dynamic to the day. As I passed the 25th mile marker and had 1.2 miles left in my day, I was passed by an asshole screaming get out of my wayIm on my last lap!!!  Really.am I notare you on your way to the course record..and I holding back from your winning lottery ticket? This was ridiculous and I was reinspired. No matter how much I dry heaved, no matter how much I vomited, no matter how bad I hurt…….I am going to get his asshole. I pick up the trot a bit, gagged a few times, and picked it up again. I kept him in site but he still pulled away. When we entered the long and winding finish chute (which in its cruelty finished up hill), I uncorked a finishing kick like I was back in college running the 5000m. I gave it everything I had and caught him at the line! Take that……..your finisher photo will forever have you looking to your left at me.the guy who was in your way!
The aftermath.I dropped.got rushed to the medical tent.3 bags of fluid, anti-nausea meds, body packed with ice, electrolyte imbalances, BP was way high, body hated me.

At the end of the day I went 10:38 which included 8 miles of walkingnot bad for an effort that put me in the darkest place I have ever visited racing. At first I was disappointed, but I now am proud as hell that I went there, That I dared to race the Ironman, and this time I came up just a tough short. Next time (in 8 weeks in Lake Placid) the story will be different.

Thanks to all my sponsors at Wattie Ink, K-Swiss (the Kwicky Blade Lights are insane), Blue Seventy (loved my speed suit), ISM (the Time Trial Saddle is pure love), Pacific Health Labs (mmmmmm.good nutrition.mmmmm), Carytown Bikes, Inspiring HR, and of course Central Virginia Endurance!

4 comments:

  1. Solid race dude. I'm sure there were a ton of people that also had the taste of vomit in their mouth but they DNF'd, you fought through it, Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting all of the details from the race, good and bad. Very inspiring. Thank you also for passing the jerk at the end of the run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You were not kidding when you said you had quite a story. Loved reading this Coach. I can totally relate to the mental wars. It brings back memories of others races. You are a great writer. And finally, what a finish :). Victory for all of us who have been screamed at by Tri-douch bags. 1038 is awesome after all that. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you were pounding a 2nd surge, chased by a coke every aid station...boy o boy!

    Caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach irritation, nausea and vomiting, increased heart rate and respiration, and other side effects.

    ReplyDelete